Loaded Bean Chilli Jackets
If you're looking for a satisfying meal at the end of a difficult week, these hearty chilli jackets with a big glass of juicy red wine are the perfect pair to bring you out of despair.
Pair me with: Pascual Toso Malbec, Vudu Syrah, False Bay Syrah, Cascadia Syrah.
Suitable for Vegans. Gluten Free. Carnivore adaptable.
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 bell peppers, scorched under the grill
- 1 tin (400g) chopped tomoatoes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp vegetable boullion
- 1 tsp hot chilli powder
- 2 chunks 90% dark chocolate
- 1 tin (400g) black beans
- 1 tin (400g) kidney beans
- 1 tin (400g) black eyed beans
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 2 tsp raw coconut oil
- 1 small bunch coriander, chopped
- 2 ripe avocados, mashed
- Jalapeños for topping
- Vegan crème fraiche
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C (fan)/gas 7.
- Stab the potatoes a few times with a sharp knife, rub the potatoes with a teaspoon of coconut oil, place them on a baking tray and season with salt and pepper. Bake for a good hour till they're crispy and brown.
- Meanwhile, heat another teaspoon of coconut oil in a large pan. Add the onion and cook till translucent.
- Add the garlic, cumin, ground coriander, paprika, and chilli powder and cook for 1 minute.
- Chop the peppers and throw them into the pan.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and stir. Fill the can half full with boiling water and add to the pan.
- Add the vegetable bouillon and season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 20 mins till the onion and pepper is tender.
- Drain the cans of beans and add to the chilli.
- Stir in the dark chocolate till it's melted and the sauce is glossy and rich.
- Take the potatoes out of the oven and cut them open.
- Serve the baked potatoes with a big spoon full of chilli, and top with mashed avocado, crème fraiche , jalapeños and chopped coriander.
Note: If you wanted to make this a meat chilli, replace the beans with minced meat.