The Beran's 'BYO (Build your own)' Pizza
Growing up, the family tradition every Saturday was to have homemade pizza. That tradition has carried on with my family, and our two boys love helping to make pizzas. This gives them the chance to go large on the toppings that they want, which in their case is tinned black olives!
The best thing about pizzas is that you can vary the toppings based on what’s in the fridge/cupboard.
We think it’s worth the effort to make the base yourself, and a bread maker is your best friend for this.
Pair me with: The best thing about pizza is that it is really versatile with wine. But our favourites are Bella Fiore, Coste del Vivo Rosso No. 1., Massinoti Valpolicella, San Simone Rondover Pinot Grigio
Vegetarian and Vegan Adaptable.
- Dried Yeast , ½ tsp
- Strong White Flour (can use some wholemeal too) , 300g
- Olive Oil , 1 tbsp
- Salt , 1 tsp
- Lukewarm water, 170ml Toppings are entirely up to you.
- Our two favourite homemade pizzas are chorizo, peppers, mushrooms, chopped onion, tinned black olives, herbs, and grated mozzarella on top. All sat on a tomato puree/passata base.
- .. Cranberry sauce, chopped onion, chicken and brie, topped with grated mozzarella, bear with me… when I first heard about this pizza I wasn’t sparked with joy. However, do not judge a book by its cover, or title, as this is so, so yummy.
- Combine all the dough ingredients and put into a bread maker. I use the Panasonic bread maker. Then follow the manufacturer’s instructions. If you don’t have a bread maker, follow steps 2-5.
- Mix the yeast into the water and let it sit for 10 minutes till small bubbles appear on the top.
- Place the flour and salt in a large bowl, make a well in the centre of the flour and pour the yeast and water mixture in.
- Add the olive oil to the flour mix and bring everything together with a fork. Combine to make a dough.
- Knead for 5-10 mins till smooth and then put the dough back in the bowl and cover with a tea towel. Place in a warm, dry place to prove for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 220C/240C (fan)/gas 8.
- Roll out your dough and arrange your toppings on top. Transfer to the hot oven and bake for 15-20 mins.